Animbiigoo Zaagi igan Anishinaabek - AZA Birth Information skip to content

Animbiigoo Zaagi igan Anishinaabek


members as of


AZA Birth Information




Registration does not happen automatically.

For persons born on or after April 17, 1985
An original certified copy of the child's birth registration is required that shows the names of the child's parents. This document can be obtained from the Division of Vital Statistics for the province or territory where the child was born.

Contact the Animbiigoo Zaagi’igan Anishinaabek office for a Statement of Consent and Request. This form states that you wish to register the child as an Indian. Give the name of the parent with which the child should be registered (children are registered with only one parent). Both parents must sign this letter.

Send the original birth registration and the Statement of Consent and Request to the Animbiigoo Zaagi’igan Anishinaabek Membership Department or to your nearest office of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada.

For persons born before April 17, 1985

Obtain and fill out one of the following forms:

  • For a person who is 18 or older, the "Application for Registration of an Adult under the Indian Act."
  • For a person who is under 18 or for a person who is intellectually impaired, the "Application for Registration of Children under the Indian Act."

Both forms can be obtained from the offices of Indian and Northern Affairs Canada or from the Membership Department of Animbiigoo Zaagi’igan Anishinaabek.

Include as much information as you can about the applicant's Aboriginal background. Include the name or location of the First Nation or First Nations to which the applicant's ancestors belonged. If you know the names of relatives who have been registered, you should include these also.

Send the completed form to:
Indian Registrar
Office of the Indian Registrar
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H4

If Indian and Northern Affairs Canada staff require more information, they will contact you by mail or telephone.

Animbiigoo Zaagi’igan Anishinaabek offers assistance to its Community Members with the completion of these forms. If you require assistance or further clarification, please contact the Membership Department.